Thursday, March 13, 2014

Apple Walnut Muffins


I haven't posted a new recipe in a while.  I tried these muffins this morning.  They're from the Post Raisin Bran box of all places!  I already have an Apple Streusel muffin recipe that is pure awesomeness but it really is like eating a piece of cake when it comes to sugar and butter content.  I saw this recipe and it didn't appear to be a bald cupcake under the pretense of a "muffin".  Knowing that, I was skeptical that it would have any flavor but thought I'd try it anyway.  I'm so glad I did because it turned out really yummy.  DON'T get me wrong, it is NOT a piece of dessert in disguise like most muffins, so if that is what you are expecting, then you're going to be disappointed.  I thought it looked, tasted, and felt healthy while also being quite tasty.  Just sweet enough, just light enough.  I feel very confident giving these to my kids as a snack. The apples, raisins and walnuts make this muffin, do not leave them out!

Apple-Walnut Muffins

1 Egg
1 C Milk (I used 1%)
1/3 C unsweetened Applesauce
1 T Vegetable oil
1.5 C Raisin Bran Cereal
1.5 C Flour
1 T Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 C Packed brown sugar
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 C Finely chopped, peeled Apple (I used a Fuji cause that's what I had)
3/4 C Chopped Walnuts (I toasted the walnuts in the 400 degree oven for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through)

Line 18 muffin tins with paper liners and spray coat the liners (a must).  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Whisk together the 1st four wet ingredients.  Add the raisin bran to milk mixture and set aside to soften for at least 5 minutes.  In a separate bowl whisk together the next 4 dry ingredients.  After the 5 minute soak I added the apples to the wet mixture and the toasted walnuts to the flour mixture.  Combine the wet and dry together.  Stir just until incorporated.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

(Here is Post's official version of the recipe if you care, I made a few minor modifications and changed the order of instructions.  They also have the nutrition information available which is always nice.)


No comments:

Post a Comment