Friday, March 14, 2014

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars


These turned out yummy and just the right texture. (I included the recipe source at the end of the post)  My husband and boys love them.  I think they're a little too sweet though.  I have several changes in mind to make but I thought I'd post this original recipe before I start going wild on variations lol!

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars

2.5 C Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1/2 C Chopped Walnuts
1/4 C Sunflower seeds
2 T    Flax Seeds
1/3 C Wheat Germ

1/3 C Honey
1/4 C Unsalted Butter
1/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Salt

1/2 C Dried Cranberries (chopped a little)
1/4 C plus 2 TBSP Chocolate Chips (it was supposed to be mini chips but I didn't buy any and just roughly chopped up some regular sized chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 8 or 9 inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray coat the foil.
Spread out 1st 5 dry ingredients onto a sheet pan and toast in the 350 degree oven for 5 minutes, stir and toast for 3 more minutes.
In medium sauce pan, combine next 5 ingredients and heat until all melted together.  Stirring occasionally.
In a large bowl combine dry toasted mixture with melted sugar mixture.  Let cool for 5 minutes.  Stir in cranberries and 1/4 cup choc chips.  Press into prepared pan and really press and press and press (i used the bottom of a 1 C measuring cup to press it together).  Sprinkle remaining choc chips on top and press  them in.  Cover and cool in the fridge for 2 hours.  Cut into 12 bars, store in sealed container at room temp for soft bars, or in the fridge for firm bars.

(I found the original recipe at Inspired Taste website.  I made a few modifications for my bars and intend to make more.)


No comments:

Post a Comment