Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade ice cream sandwiches

These are the easiest things in the world to make, and so worth it. I've had homemade oreos, or chocolate sandwich cookies. While very yummy, they are always so rich. Even after just one bite I'm not sure if I get through the whole thing. These ice cream sandwiches were light and refreshing and perfect.
I started with cake mix cookies - very simple

1 cake mix (any flavor really, but I chose Devil's food)
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs

**side note - I substituted the oil in the recipe for 1/3 cup bean puree. Bean puree???, yep. You can substitute it for oil in a lot of baked goods and you don't know the difference. In fact, in my opinion, if you're substituting oil in cakes, breads, and muffins - things that are supposed to be light and cakey and fluffy, they turn out better with the beans (more moist). If you are substituting beans for butter in things that are supposed to be flat and chewy like cookies and brownies - they don't turn out right, they're too cake-like. Anyway, for these cookies though, it made them the perfect texture for the sandwich - PERFECT. Go to this link to see where I got the idea for using bean puree and information on how to do it http://everydayfoodstorage.net/?s=bean+puree.

Mix the cake mix, oil (or beans), and eggs together until you get a dough similar to sugar cookie dough. I had to add some water because I used the beans. Roll cookies into a 1" ball and flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in powdered sugar (or you could use cocoa powder). Bake at 375 for 9 minutes or until done. Let cool on cooling rack.
After cooled, scoop a large ball of any flavored softened ice cream you want (I used reduced fat cookies and cream). Place on one cookie (turned upside down) flatten with spatula then top with another cookie and press.

So simple! The slightly warm soft chocolaty cookie, the cool ice cream. My husband kept saying "mmmmmm" with every bite.

Try it (if you haven't already!)

No comments:

Post a Comment