Thursday, March 31, 2011

Make-ahead Spinach Manicotti

I totally blew it on the picture of this dish, it looks way ugly - but don't be deceived - this was delicious! I've never made manicotti before, and this recipe I found is awesome, and way easy. The recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine submitted by Christy Freeman.

1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided (I used the grated kind from the can)
1 egg
2 tsp minced fresh parsley (I used 1 tsp dry parsley)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 jars (28 ounces each) spaghetti sauce with meat
1 1/2 cups water
1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells - left uncooked

In a large bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan, egg, parsley, onion powder, pepper and garlic powder. Combine spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1 cup sauce in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Stuff uncooked manicotti with spinach mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over manicotti. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Cook it right away or you can put it in the refrigerator and save it for a day. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14 manicotti shells or 6-9 servings depending.

I found it to still have a lot of sauce even after cooking uncovered. The water may be able to be reduced a bit. I liked the extra sauce though, it was not watery at all. This fed my family of 4 two dinners and a lunch - winner! I liked it so much I'm going to make three pans of it for my big family reunion in June!!


No comments:

Post a Comment