Thursday, March 24, 2011

Orange Walnut Chicken

I was tired of walking to the pantry at 4:50 pm every day and not know what to cook for dinner, then ultimately settling for something routine and boring. I decid
ed at the beginning of March to plan out my entire month of dinners. A week or so before this I had taken home a stack of cooking magazines from a church free market and subscribed to Cook's Country magazine (America's Test Kitchen). So in figuring out how to plan my month of dinners I found myself continually wanting to try all these new fantastic recipes in these magazines, and why not. This month has been so much fun. New recipes, new ingredients, new adventures!

This Orange Walnut Chicken recipe was my first new recipe of the month, it comes from a Taste of Home magazine, submitted by TerryAnn Moore. When I first saw
the recipe, I didn't get overly excited about it, but it had won the grand prize in a contest they do every issue. That's got to be worth something right? Definitely. It turned out phenomenal. I loved it. So so yummy. The crunchy toasted walnuts and the green onions just set it off perfectly. When my husband bit into it he said, "It's like I'm eating at some exotic restaurant." Thank you honey! Here you go!

Ingredients
3 TBSP Orange juice concentrate
3 TBSP Vegetable oil (divided)
1 TBSP Soy sauce
1 garlic clove minced
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I actually used chicken tenders)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 TBSP Butter (I used margarine)
4 Green onions, thinly sliced (divided)
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup Orange juice
1/4 cup Lemon juice
2 TBSP Honey
1 to 2 TBSP Grated orange peel
2 to 3 tsp Grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Hot cooked rice

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine orange juice
concentrate, 2 T of oil, soy sauce, and garlic. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Remove chicken; reserve marinade. In a skillet, cook chicken in remaining oil until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute walnuts in butter until lightly browned; removed and set aside. Set aside 1/4 cup green onions for garnish. Add remaining onions to saucepan; saute until tender. Add reserved marinade and the next eight ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 2 minutes, Reduce heat; si
mmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Serve chicken over rice, top with sauce and reserved walnuts and onions. *note - I found the sauce to be very intense - start with a little and add more as you need it, don't just dump a bunch on right off the bat! (If I had a nicer camera or better light at dinner time, the picture would do the dish justice, but this will have to do, and it will have to do for future recipe posts!)

1 comment:

  1. made this tonight! Very yummy, and I even left off the grated lemon and orange peel and the orange marmalade because I didn't have it. Would have been even better I'm sure. Thanks for the dish!

    ReplyDelete